11 Amazing Facts About Pakistan's Largest Gold Mine
Reko Diq is a desert in Balochistan. 'Reko Diq' actually means sandy peak in local language that is the name of an ancient volcano. This area comes under Chagai District that has population of 300,000. Reko Diq is popular for being naturally rich as it has gold mines, copper mines and shale gas. A small part of this area falls in Afghanistan too. This is Pakistan's largest gold mine and some of the most interesting facts about Reko Diq Gold Mines are listed below.
1) It is world's 5th biggest Gold Mine
2) It spreads over 100 kilometers
3) It has more than 54 million tons of Gold
4) And it is worth more than US$ 2 Trillion
5) It was leased to BHP, an Australian Company in 1994.
6) BHP sold those mining rights to Thethyan Copper Company in 2004
Company had rights to export every ounce of gold without involving State Bank of Pakistan or any other 3rd Party.
7) This company had captured 400 kilometers of area for mining
8) It was a non-auditable zone
9) It has copper and other natural reserves
10) It has world's 2nd largest reserve of Shale Gas (petrol alternative)
11) It was given back to the Government of Balochistan in 2013.